23 Things

You have reached my blog for 23 Things which Maryland Public Libraries are investigating this summer. What a great way to introduce staff to the new technologies available on the web. I look forward to the fun and the learning! ~ Ann


The photo displayed is from the National Gallery of Art website. Martin Johnson HeadeCattleya Orchid and Three Brazilian Hummingbirds, 1871Gift of The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation1982.73.1

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?60978+0+0

Saturday, August 25, 2007

The 23rd Thing - My Thoughts

#23 My Summation:
  • Favorites: Definitely the YouTube and Avatar learning, just because it was so much fun that I felt guilty. Exploring Flickr and the Sandbox Wiki were also fun. I guess I am a visual person. I suppose I also see some application for work and my personal life with these resources.
  • 23 Things & My Lifelong Learning: One of the biggest benefits of this project was becoming aware to the avaialbel technologies and having the opportunity to do more than just read about them. For many of us scheduling the time to explore new "Things" is not always possible. The time is not always there. I am happy that I had the opportunity to look into these "things" that I had only danced around before, hearing one mentioned here or there, but not quite sure of "exactly" what it was.
  • Take-aways/Unexpected outcomes: I can not lie, I am so happy to be done. This has taken many hours to complete. I am taking away a greater understanding of online applications, things younger people know more about and are using. One of my early goals was to improve my digital camera skills, so this was a great opportunitiy to make a conscious effort to do just that.
  • How could 23 be improved? Maybe scheduling it during a different time of the year might help to free up staff schedules for the 23 activities. Summer is a busy vacation time and we also had 2 out on medical leave, so it was difficult to find time, but not impossible, for everyone to work on 23. The format was appropriate and "forced" some of the less computer literate to jump in feet first. I see more confidence in several staff, and they are more in tuned to the new technologies. I was a bit frustrated with all the accounts I had to create for the exercises. I am fearful that the amount of SPAM will be increased in my email. I understand hands-on is best, but if some of this could be avoided, it would make a lot of folks happy.
  • Would I do again? Yes. I think offering learning opportunities like this are essential to keep staff involved with what is happening, and a way to improve their skills and knowledge.
  • My learning experience: This learning experience has been fun, imaginative and informative. Great tools, lots of fun along the way. And boy did it give staff something to talk about.

No comments: