23 Things

You have reached my blog for 23 Things which Maryland Public Libraries are investigating this summer. What a great way to introduce staff to the new technologies available on the web. I look forward to the fun and the learning! ~ Ann


The photo displayed is from the National Gallery of Art website. Martin Johnson HeadeCattleya Orchid and Three Brazilian Hummingbirds, 1871Gift of The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation1982.73.1

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?60978+0+0

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Week 9 - Podcasts, Videos & Downloadable Audio

#20 Discover YouTube:
This I have done with #19. I see the possibility of using YouTube as a vehicle to post video for library instruction and fun. I have posted several YouTube videos on my blog, some embedded, some not. I did check the Yahoo and Google Video sites. Yahoo was not near as fun as YouTube or the Google site. In fact one video several staff were trying to locate yesterday on YouTube from SNL featuring Cheri Oteri as an office flirt was found and viewed by several staff on the Google site. Hope there is no such thing as "too much fun" while 23 thinging.

I will be making a video with my digital camera later today and try upload to my YouTube account to test the complexity of this. So say tuned!...more later.

#21 Locating Podcasts:
I explored the various links about podcasting. Getting into podcasting would be a great tool for training, such as the podcasts used here in 23 Things. I see that the "gear" listed in microphone, PC and software. I am wondering if there are other work arounds for people who do not have the microphone and software on their PCs. Is is possible to upload something that was recorded on another device. I think, yes. Of the podcast seachsites Yahoo Podcasts was fairly easy to use. Podcast Alley was the most difficult. I will be looking at this some more on my own and may try to post something before the 23 Things completion deadline.

#22 Downloadable Audio:
I am already familiar with Overdirve and NetLibrary, although I have not personally downloaded any audiobooks. I do not own a device that is compatible or robust enough to support this format -- yet!, but I do have an account set up.

I was not as familiar with Project Gutenberg, so spent a bit more time on that. My only complaint is that there was not enough info on the main page about the project. I had to dig into the FAQs. A small blurb explaining the basics right up front would have been nice.

No comments: