23 Things

You have reached my blog for 23 Things which Maryland Public Libraries are investigating this summer. What a great way to introduce staff to the new technologies available on the web. I look forward to the fun and the learning! ~ Ann


The photo displayed is from the National Gallery of Art website. Martin Johnson HeadeCattleya Orchid and Three Brazilian Hummingbirds, 1871Gift of The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation1982.73.1

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?60978+0+0

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Week 8 - Online Applications and Tools II

#19 Discover/Explore Any Site from the Web 2.0 Awards List: I looked harder at YouTube and am offering the following comments:
  • Things I like -- Extremely fun to explore; ability for anyone to post a video; code of conduct included on site; search features are easy to use; users can flag what they deem inappropriate
  • Things I dislike--I saw several inappropriate videos posted and although site disclaimers say YouTube is not intended for anyone under the age of 13, some content may not be suitable 13 year olds. There wasn't much else I could find not to like-- just because it is so fun.
  • Useful Features--Help and getting started info was very good; ability to create a play list, favorites; Ability to post comments and responses; Top Rated & Most Discussed list available; features in setting up your channel was easy to use.
  • Applications for Libraries--I searched "librarians" and although I found many funny videos posted, there were some serious ones with information about the profession. A YouTube Salute to Librarians; March of the Librarians; Your Life Work: The Librarian (This last one was filmed at the Iowa State College (now Iowa State University) library in 1946).

No comments: